last friday on kelly's blog was show me your life friday--baby names. i am just a few days behind--but since i am and always have been obsessed with baby names i had to post!
i have been planning my kid's names since i was probably 7 or 8. i just love to come up with names and hear what other people name their children.
(sadly, if you ask me what almost any celebrity named their child, i can tell you.)
so, when the time came for me to actually name my own child, it was much harder than i thought. it's really not a matter of picking your favorite name. it's more like finding a name between you and your husband that doesn't remind you of the boy you "accidently" hit in the 2nd grade because he was such a bad reader or the girl who threw up all over you in high school. (bad, bad memories...)
when i got pregnant, we had an early ultrasound and just assumed because of some things we saw that we were having a boy. ha! we had thought of a lot of names but ended up with:
dylan cole
so for the next couple months we called the baby dylan and took pictures in the boy's department of dillards.
we also came up with girl's names just in case.
we knew if we had a girl her name would be:
madalyn storm
don't really know how we came up with that but that was our choice.
so on ultrasound day we find out that we are not having a dylan.
on the way home from the dr. i suddenly decided i didn't want madalyn.
so that night we sat down and took out several notecards. (i found them just the other day!)
on three we wrote:
madalyn
miranda
mckinlee
(we obviously had a thing for m names)
on another three we wrote:
jade
storm
skye
we played around with them until we both got what we wanted!
mckinlee skye
i had heard mckinlee and loved it and thought it was really different and unique and chris loved skye. i wanted to just name her skyler, but he just wanted skye for a middle name.
so that's how we came up with her name.
(not long ago, mckinlee was upset because she has such an uncommon name and said, "why couldn't you have just named me something like madalyn?" it didn't help when i finally admitted that was our second choice! ha!)
so since it doesn't look like i'll ever need to use all the names i've gathered, i'll just list some of my favorites!
so on ultrasound day we find out that we are not having a dylan.
on the way home from the dr. i suddenly decided i didn't want madalyn.
so that night we sat down and took out several notecards. (i found them just the other day!)
on three we wrote:
madalyn
miranda
mckinlee
(we obviously had a thing for m names)
on another three we wrote:
jade
storm
skye
we played around with them until we both got what we wanted!
mckinlee skye
i had heard mckinlee and loved it and thought it was really different and unique and chris loved skye. i wanted to just name her skyler, but he just wanted skye for a middle name.
so that's how we came up with her name.
(not long ago, mckinlee was upset because she has such an uncommon name and said, "why couldn't you have just named me something like madalyn?" it didn't help when i finally admitted that was our second choice! ha!)
so since it doesn't look like i'll ever need to use all the names i've gathered, i'll just list some of my favorites!
Girls:
avery
lily
brecken
grace
reese
quincy
capri
emerson (call her emmie)
ellasyn (just saw this the other day and fell in love. call her ella or ellie)
paisley
hadley
kate (i love kate with almost any name. ellie kate, lily kate, etc.)
halle
sutton
annabelle
brynn
Boys:
grayson
hudson
cade
cole
dawson
carr
john (i feel about john as i do about kate. it goes with anything--john thomas, john tyler, etc.)
paxton
maddox
avery
lily
brecken
grace
reese
quincy
capri
emerson (call her emmie)
ellasyn (just saw this the other day and fell in love. call her ella or ellie)
paisley
hadley
kate (i love kate with almost any name. ellie kate, lily kate, etc.)
halle
sutton
annabelle
brynn
Boys:
grayson
hudson
cade
cole
dawson
carr
john (i feel about john as i do about kate. it goes with anything--john thomas, john tyler, etc.)
paxton
maddox
that's not nearly all of them--but a good list anyway.
what are your kid's names?
i would love to know :)
what are your kid's names?
i would love to know :)

I had a thing for names for my babies too. I had a name picked out since my early teens, it was Stratton (family name)Lee(mom's middle name). I knew this could be a boy or girl's name but to my surprise my oldest sister had her first baby and took Stratton for his middle name; sadly I couldn't use it so I thought Madison (another family name and right before the Madison name became so popular) and guess what, the same sister took it!! I learned not to tell any of my names I liked to my sister,that by the way, I do still love dearly and now I have my two girls: Emma and Lilli- both named for grandmothers I loved and adored!! (These names weren't decided on until I was in the middle of my pregnancy with both)!
ReplyDeletethat picture of mck is the sweetest! and i love your lists of names too :) our neighbor's little girl is brynn and i think that's so cute.
ReplyDeleteYour post brought back memories...seeing you read over & over books on babies' names (since you were a little girl), reading birth announcements, magazines on celebs & their babies, getting upset when I forgot to ask people their babies' names or forgetting them when I did ask... Isn't it amazing how we selected YOUR name...Susanne after me (although) I wanted it with a "z"...and Natise after a beautiful Indian girl on a movie we watch when we first got married.
ReplyDeleteOf course you know, I have always liked the name Seth and Johathan...I still think Elizabeth is a pretty name and I like Laura...(I'm a little old-fashioned) I love McKinlee & Sadie!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi SueSue!!!
ReplyDeleteMama Jeanne gave your blog address to me. Do you mind if I follow it? The pics of Sadie you took are BEAUTIFUL!!!! Just like her mama!!! :o) And i too remember yall looking through all those baby name books..yall kinda got me interested in them tooo....well hope to hear from ya soon... Miss ya Bunches!!!!
I'm a totally random popover from Kelly's and I had to say that my very best friend in the world has a daughter named Paisley! I love it =)
ReplyDelete